Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Re the previous post

Wouldn't it be nice if racism and sexism were dead?

Wouldn't it at least be nice if they were at least dead in America?

Well, they aren't. This election has shown us that.

I remember watching a video, in a psych class, detailing some of the comments made about Geraldine Ferraro, a US Vice Presidential candidate who ran with Walter Mondale on the Democratic ticket some time in the 1980s (I think). If someone made comments like that in my home, I'd ask them to leave.

And then, during the campaign, Ferraro essentially said that Obama wouldn't be where he was if he wasn't Black. She was working with Clinton's campaign. For that, I might not have asked her to leave, but I sure wouldn't have invited her back.

The Democratic campaign has been rather close (partially due to the way they count their votes, with delegates divided proportionately rather than winner takes all). As the campaign has gone on, the comments have got more and more bitter. I'm not sure that I've heard either Hillary or Barack disavow comments made against the other candidate's race and gender.

I hope America's Presidential candidates and nominees can take the high road.

No comments: