Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Monoamous relationships, cheating, Carrie Underwood's new song, and some reflections on polyamory



Right now he's probably slow dancing with a bleached-blond tramp,
and she's probably getting frisky.
right now he's probably buying her some fruity little drink
cause she can't shoot whiskey.
right now, he's probably up behind her with a pool-stick,
showing her how to shoot a combo
and he don't know...

I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seats.
I took a louisville slugger to both head lights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires.
maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

right now, she's probably up singing some
white-trash version of Shania karaoke..
right now, she's probably saying "I'm drunk"
and he's thinking that he's gonna lucky,
right now, he's probably dabbing on 3 dollars worth of that bathroom cologne.
and he don't know...

That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seat...
I took a louisville slugger to both head lights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

I might've saved a little trouble for the next girl,
cause the next time that he cheats..
oh you know it won't be on me!
no.. not on me..

I dug my key into the side of his pretty little suped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seat...
I took a louisville slugger to both head lights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.
ohh.. maybe next time he'll think.. before he cheats...

ohh... before he cheats...
ohhhh.


I was driving to work today, and I heard Before He Cheats, by Carrie Underwood, on the radio for the first time. Wow!

I never really thought Underwood was that great, but here she did very well with this song. She really clearly portrayed the fury of a spurned lover, who needs Vengeance with a capital V. Another of my favorite songs is Cry a Little by Faith Hill. I haven't actually been cheated on, thank God, but I've had my heart broken (most recently by the cute feminist I took out to dinner). I'm very sympathetic to the emotions that Underwood is expressing, even if I wouldn't do anything as drastic.

Now, I do occasionally read Maxim. Yes, I read it mainly for the pictures - feminists can shoot me if they want. But a lot of murders are crimes of passion. I read once of a man whose wife was cheating on another man - a friend, as it turns out. Let's just say it was a gruesome murder. He severed his friend's limbs with gunfire and set fire to his crotch. And then he killed himself. It's just the kind of article you'd find in a magazine like Maxim...

But, crimes of passion are often driven by jealousy. By infidelity. Is there another way?

How monogamous are we? I've previously theorized that we are actually innately pretty monogamous. If the homosexual agenda is truly about destroying the institution of marriage such that everyone is going at it like a bunch of young gay rabbits, then I think they really need to try a lot harder.

Nonetheless, there are models for non-monogamous relationships. Open relationships allow individuals to take sexual partners aside from their primary partner. Generally, these relationships are sexual, rather than sexual and emotional. Polyamorous relationships allow for individuals to have partners on an emotional and sexual level aside from their primary partners. This is a simplification. One could read the Wikipedia articles on various forms on nonmonogamy; these are written by laypeople, and may be of varying quality.

I did once hear a woman speak about her polyamorous relationship. She was African-American, and Christian, and married to a man ... and she had fallen in love with a woman. And she loved her husband, too - actually, if I remember right, he was the one who introduced her to swinging. They were still happily married. However, he accepted that she was in love with someone else as well. Her pastor did the same, interestingly enough - I believe he asked if they loved each other. I assume he wasn't overjoyed about the prospect, but neither did he seem ready to throw stones.

Many of my LGBT readers know the story of Roy and Silo, the infamous and very adorable gay penguins in New York Central Park Zoo, who repeatedly attempted to hatch a rock, until the (gay) zookeeper gave them an egg. They hatched the egg, and raised the chick, Tango. It was all very sweet, penguins are generally pretty monogamous, and they had a children's book written about them. However, it seems that there's pretty intense competition for males at Central Park Zoo. Roy was seduced away by some female penguin.

I think humans are drawn to monogamy to a certain extent, both by our nature and by our culture. However, we are not completely monogamous. And non-monogamous relationships are certainly far better than cheating within a monogamous relationship.

For the crowd that is trying to leave the Anglican Communion over the gay issue, what I am suggesting is worse than genocide.

However, all I'm saying here is that our relationship models are worth reexamining. There's even a - pretty bad - Biblical model for non-monogamous relationships: King Solomon, who had hundreds of wives. God struck him down, not because he was unfaithful to his first wife, but because his foreign wives led him away from God. David, his father, wasn't exactly monogamous, either. For us today, women have equal rights to be non-monogamous as men do, and we have to consider that perhaps people don't want to be with the same person from the start of puberty to their deaths. People can be serially monogamous, as many in the West are today, or they can be non-monogamous. As long as the relationship is honest, and on equal terms, I don't think it's necessarily wrong. Even if it is, I'd rather we deal with the genocide first.

No comments: