Wednesday, July 18, 2007

UK gay youth worker vindicated against his adversaries

Psalm 43, NRSV:
Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause
against an ungodly people;
from those who are deceitful and unjust
deliver me!
For you are the God in whom I take refuge;
why have you cast me off?
Why must I walk about mournfully
because of the oppression of the enemy?


O send out your light and your truth;
let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
and to your dwelling.
Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy;
and I will praise you with the harp,
O God, my God.


Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my help and my God.


An excerpt from the article in the Guardian:

A gay Christian has won a discrimination claim against the Church of England after it was found to have blocked his appointment on the grounds of his sexuality.

John Reaney, a 42-year-old from North Wales, took the Hereford Diocesan Board of Finance to an employment tribunal after his appointment to the role of youth worker was blocked by the Bishop of Hereford, the Rt Rev Anthony Priddis.

Mr Reaney is set to secure substantial compensation after the tribunal judgment, which said: "The respondents discriminated against the claimant on the grounds of sexual orientation." A date for a remedy hearing is due to be set.

Mr Reaney, of Abergele Road, Colwyn Bay, claimed unlawful discrimination under the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003.

The tribunal claim was backed and financed by gay lobby group Stonewall.

Mr Reaney told the tribunal in April that he was questioned by Bishop Priddis on his previous gay relationship during a two-hour meeting on July 19 last year after emerging as the outstanding candidate for the job during the interview process.

He said the encounter was embarrassing and humiliating and described how he had to pull over during his drive home from the bishop's residence to break down in tears.

No comments: