Sunday, March 09, 2008

Harriet Tubman

From Moses of Her People, available here:

Harriet looked around, wondering why so many white ladies were gathered there. I think it was Miss Anthony [probably Susan Anthony] who led her forward, saying:

"Ladies, I am glad to present to you Harriet Tubman, 'the conductor of the Underground Railroad.'"

"Yes, ladies," said Harriet, "I was de conductor ob de Underground Railroad for eight years, an' I can say what mos' conductors can't say—I nebber run my train off de track an' I nebber los' a passenger." The audience laughed and applauded, and Harriet was emboldened to go on and relate portions of her interesting history, which were most kindly received by the assembled ladies.


Robin Morgan, a prominent feminist, attributes this quote to Harriet:

Let a statement by the magnificent Harriet Tubman stand as reply. When asked how she managed to save hundreds of enslaved African Americans via the Underground Railroad during the Civil War, she replied bitterly, "I could have saved thousands-if only I'd been able to convince them they were slaves."


Actually, I think that quote is of uncertain provenance. Ralph Luker, blogging on History News Network, explains:

I might not have caught it, myself, but Melissa Spore's comment sounded right to me. So, I wrote to Kate Clifford Larson, the author of Bound For the Promised Land: Harriet Tubman, Portrait of an American Hero (2004). Larson replies as follows:

I do not think it is an authentic quote. I believe it is from one of the many 20th century fictionalized biographies. It was never recorded at anytime during her lifetime, and interviews with people who knew her after her life never indicated this was something she said. There are many quotes attributed to Tubman that are 20th century creations. This one I believe is particularly peculiar, and in my view, quite racist.

When I contacted Milton Sernett, the author of Harriet Tubman: Myth, Memory, and History (2007), he replied:

I have not found the quotation in question in any of the primary sources that purport to be faithful renditions of Tubman sayings/comments/aphorisms or the like. My impression is that this is a late 20th century quote from a fictionalized account of Tubman's life. ... Whoever wishes to use the dubious quote as a political zinger ought to cite a reliable source.



Nonetheless, many slaves did in fact turn back from the Underground Railroad. Many were worried. Harriet's Wikipedia article, which cites her biographies by Kate Larson and Catherin Clinton, says that she escaped once with her brothers, but they turned back, worried about the dangers ahead. Also, Ben had just become a father.

Harriet, though, was unafraid. She knew she wasn't a slave. She did actually return to her home state, but it was to free other slaves.

She personally helped free hundreds, at least.

People started calling her Moses.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: